topic

standing on the edge of a thunderstorm, tagged for pix & rawley!
twenty five
female
she/her/hers
pansexual
International
lux
19 posts
90 points
nothing gonna make me break or shatter, no one's gonna tell me that i don't matter, i won't let you
an open book full of mysteries
The entirely unimpressed huff echoed clearly around the arena walls as she tugged at the stirrups of the saddle she was about to swing into. The other horses, of course, were not granted nearly as much patience - but then again, they all knew their job. Monster, as she had apparently aptly named him, did not. In fact, it had taken her two weeks to get him to accept tack and a sand bag. Today, it was time to get on him. However, she'd prepared as if she was about to ride a bronc. The fact he was saddled was just an added safety net, really. She even had him in the pen, rigging the gate to open with a tug from a rope from the inside. She didn't usually have this much trouble, but then again, quarter horses than had been handled since birth were considerably more willing to accept a rider than a mustang who'd been wild until a few months back and mishandled since.

He was damn lucky he was pretty, fast, and turned better than half her stable, or he'd have been gone when he nearly shattered her leg with a kick three weeks back when he first got here.

Slowly, she settled herself into the saddle, giving his neck a little rub, even though she knew the lack of reaction was due to lack of space, as trapped as he was. Wrapping her hand in the rope and around the horn of the saddle, she reached over, unlatching the gate and watching it swing open to the clear expanse of the arena. He tensed beneath her, but it was a few seconds before he actually reacted. When he did, he outright exploded. She closed her eyes, letting herself twist and wriggle along with his bucks and pops and rears. It wasn't anything unusually with her, though even she couldn't sit it forever. Of course, unlike the rodeo ring, she wasn't trying to egg him on, either - she was just clinging for dear life and hoping he'd settle.

She ate dirt instead.

In hindsight, she wasn't that shocked. She was less shocked than he was, too, as he froze the second her weight lifted off him and she thudded to the ground. She groaned a little, peering up at the grullo who was warily eying her, ready to flinch away in a moment at any quick movement. She knew better, slowly easing herself to sitting and just reaching a hand out.

Come on, asshole. Let's try that again.

tagged for Rawley Harrington
post made Dec 19 2016, 11:19 PM
thirty-one
male
he/him/his
heterosexual
Industry
pixel
39 posts
60 points
that's why god loves cowboys i believe there's a place in his heart
i think god must be a cowboy at heart

he made a horse to be a friend
He still couldn't get over the fact that he was waltzing around in jeans and a t-shirt in the middle of December. It was kinda eerie. Though admittedly, it was freeing to have the option to just wear a tee-shirt. In the fuckin' desert, he'd been stuck in fatigues and sometimes full bomb gear that was hotter than the blazes of hell. Florida was at least a little more temperate than that fucking desert. The old Ford rumbles as he drove down the road, the window down, his hand drumming out a beat on the side of the door. The passenger window was down as well, and Bodi hung his head out, tongue lolling as he scented the breezes. The brindle and white border collie was tall and lean for his breed, presumably not a purebred. Rawley had picked him up as a pup for free in a Walmart parking lot, but damn if he wasn't the best dog he'd ever had. Hadn't missed a beat when Rawley came home from his tour of duty and hadn't batted an eye at moving across the country. There just wasn't anything quite like a good dog to make changes easier.

Rawley had been out running some errands, picking up feed and some leather to fix a set of reins that had busted. On his way back, he'd taken up a notion to go introduce himself to the new neighbor up the road. He'd heard her name on the circuit quite a bit, which was pretty indicative of her skill level. He'd never officially met her, though he thought their paths might have crossed at a rodeo somewhere along the way. He couldn't remember for sure, though, and he doubted that she would remember him, either. His stint as a bronc rider had been short lived, not because he didn't ride well enough, but simply because he preferred colt starting and getting horses not to buck to cinching them up for the express purpose of making them buck.

The driveway to Carried Away Ranch was nice, which he had pretty much expected. Parking the rig, he glanced around, noting that the place was quiet, much like his. Quiet operations, just starting out. That was alright. Everybody had to start somewhere. Telling Bodi to stay, he left the collie in the passenger seat with the windows rolled down, and headed first to the barn. Finding no one there, he headed toward the arena, just in time to see a horse bust out of the chutes. Crossing his arms on the top rail, he whistled a little to himself. Sum Bitch could buck, that was for sure. He wasn't overly surprised when the rider hit the dirt. He honestly wasn't even sure if he could have ridden that particular bronc. He gave an impressed whistle when she got right back up, lifting his hand in greeting. "Howdy," he called. "Sorry to come at a bad time," he added. "I can come back later if you'd rather."

To: kit carraway || Notes: yayy
girlwhowaited @ (​shine)(cttw)
post made Dec 21 2016, 08:12 PM
twenty five
female
she/her/hers
pansexual
International
lux
19 posts
90 points
nothing gonna make me break or shatter, no one's gonna tell me that i don't matter, i won't let you
Oh- Hey!

Kit couldn't help but laugh a little at the fact that he'd come in at probably the worst time. She raised herself out of the dirt fully, brushing it off with a few snorts from Monster in return as he flinched a little with every hand stroke, though without pulling away. He trusted her enough not to run, at least; for that, she was thankful. She held out a gentle hand, letting him sniff and lip at her fingers before curling them around the reins and leading him back towards the wall, where her unexpected visitor waited.

Now's as good a time as any. it's not gonna get any easier any time sooner unless I'm incredibly lucky, I think.

She was grinning, though, despite the fact her backside would likely be well-bruised by the end of today. She hadn't taken the easy road to get to this point, and like hell she was starting that now; she enjoyed falling into bed at night, too exhausted to keep her eyes open, and still feeling it the next day but getting right back up to do it all over again. Not to mention, she'd had far worse falls off a bronc than the tumble she'd just taken from the mustang she held close. He shuffled nervously, prancing as they neared the man. She changed the trajectory to stick him in the chute for now, as he was calmer there where he couldn't see much, then returned to join the stranger.

He's had a rather nasty start to the less-wild start of life. But at least it's practice, I suppose.

She shrugged a little, taking it all in stride. That was what her initial claim to fame had been in, after all - beating the bareback bronc record time in her first go, and then consecutively beating her own time for the next two rodeos. She'd eventually capped out a bit, of course, but even the most experienced bronc riders faltered a little when they saw her name on the list, even if she'd pulled back a bit from that particular event over the years (she couldn't train horses if she was broken, after all).

Kit Carraway. What can I do for you...?

She trailed off with her question, letting it become dual purpose and asking for his name in one fell swoop as she wiped her hand off one last time, then held it out for a good old-fashioned handshake.

post made Dec 27 2016, 09:51 PM
thirty-one
male
he/him/his
heterosexual
Industry
pixel
39 posts
60 points

The fact that she jumped up and greeted him with a grin was earning her major points in Rawley's book. The first time he rode a colt, he'd been piled and scrambled right back up again, mostly trying to impress his dad, but it had been a valuable lesson, too. The fact that getting up and dusting off, and laughing about it to boot, immediately put her into Rawley's good graces, which was definitely saying something. He chuckled as he watched the horse. "Not much gonna be lucky about that one," he told her, nodding at the horse. He'd seen some rank ones in his time, and that was definitely in his top ten.

Her grin had Rawley grinning back at her, broad and easy, maybe a little crooked. He watched her catch the troublemaker and put him back in the chutes. "You've got a great set up here," Rawley acknowledged, when she came closer. "Been a long time since I been on a bronc," he said. The rodeo circuit in Florida was a little lacking. He hadn't even seen an arena with bucking chutes in a couple of years. He was probably rusty. Sure, he'd had a few rank colts, but nothing quite as intentional as a flank strapped bronc. Rawley gave a low whistle, shaking his head. "That's too bad," he said, "He's a good looking horse," he said. "He's not a mustang, is he?" he asked. He thought he'd seen the flash of a freeze brand, but he hadn't been sure. His curiosity got the better of him though and he had to ask.

When she introduced herself and extended her hand, Rawley quickly pulled his hat off with his left, engulfing her hand with his right. "Rawley Harrington. I've got the place just down the road. Thought I'd swing in and introduce myself," he answered. He put his hat back on his head, settling it firmly on his messy curls; he probably had about the worst case of hat hair ever known to man, so just as well to keep that mess under wraps. "You're a hell of a rider," he added, with another easy grin. "Been so long since I busted a bronc, I don't know if I'da lasted that long." Rawley had no problem admitting when somebody was better at something than he was; unless that somebody was a conceited asshole, or the rare occasion when he did get to feeling legitimately competitive. Mostly, he just liked to admire a job well done, whether it was his job or someone else's.

post made Dec 30 2016, 06:21 PM
twenty five
female
she/her/hers
pansexual
International
lux
19 posts
90 points
She chuckled softly as he voiced the sentiment she felt; she'd bitten off a rather large mouthful with this particular horse and, while she was sure he'd be worth it in the end, right now she just had to hope she survived his more violent and unpleasant tendencies. This sport certainly wasn't meant to be easy, no matter what other people thought about it or did to make it so for themselves.

Thanks. Been a long road to this point. Still kinda hard to believe, y'know?

She let out a short laugh then, more sheepish than actually entertained and emphasized into a singular 'hah' more than anything. For a girl who'd grown up with a father who left and a mother who had to work two, sometimes three, jobs to keep a rook over their head and food on their table, she still felt like she was going to wake up and discover she was still living in a horse trailer with only River for company. None of this had ever felt real, no matter how much she embraced it.

He quickly turned his attention to Monster, and really, she couldn't blame him. He wasn't exactly a hard-on-the-eyes sort of horse now that he was more than skin and bone. She grinned a little as he questioned the stallion's breeding.

He's a pure blooded Kiger alright. Fresh off the range a few months back. He was bounced around for most of that time, before I bought him and brought him here.

It wasn't long after before they were exchanging names and shaking hands. It was tough to tell if it was her hands that were rough and calloused, or his - most likely both, considering their chosen lines of work. She'd had her fair share of cowboy introductions, too - the hat tip didn't even phase her like it would most of the pretty little English riders around. The compliment, however, got him far further and she shot him a grin.

Well, they kept telling me a girl could never cut it. Had to prove 'em wrong, of course. I'm stubborn that way.

She laughed again, soft but amicable. It could have come across a little conceited otherwise, but really it was just that; she hated people telling her what she could and couldn't do and she lived to prove them wrong. It was no surprise, with that considered, that she'd made it out of the hole of tending a diner for her adult life rather than living her dream.

I should probably get back to Monster, 'fore he thinks he got away with it, but you're welcome to stick around and give yourself a self-guided tour. Assuming he stops tossing me sometime in the next half-hour, I'll give you one myself, even.

post made Dec 31 2016, 08:54 PM
thirty-one
male
he/him/his
heterosexual
Industry
pixel
39 posts
60 points

He answered her chuckle with one of his own, grinning still. "Yeah, it's a wild ride, especially when you end up ranked in the world standings," he said, shrugging a little. He had only been competing at an international level since acquiring Lark, although he'd seen plenty of national shows before that. You didn't just take an international horse and hold him back to national competitions. Rawley had had to step up his game some, but he figured he'd done alright for himself, certainly done alright by Lark. He and the stud got along; he had been a good acquisition. It was undoubtedly the most money he'd ever spent on a horse, but he figured if he was going to make a name for himself, he needed to have good stock. It had hurt a little, but been worth it in the long run.

He chuckled a little. "Yeah, I definitely hear you," he said with a chuckle. Getting a place of his own at long last, riding in world shows, he was definitely in much the same boat. "I feel the same way," he said with a laugh. The rise to the top of the line was definitely a surreal one. It was still crazy to think he was running his own place, that he had started from the ground up. As a kid, of course, he'd dreamed of taking over his father's ranch, but after his time in the military those dreams had changed. Now, the satisfaction he felt about getting his own place up and running, without anybody's help, was even more glorious than just taking what could have been given to him.

"Kiger, huh?" Rawley asked, although he wasn't really familiar with the term. He was assuming it was a Mustang from a specific place. His father had always been such a Quarter Horse snob that he didn't have much time to think about other breeds. It was a little biased, he knew, close minded, probably, but he honestly couldn't really help himself now. What was that saying about teaching an old dog new tricks?

He chuckled. "Ah, never woulda guessed," he retorted when she said she was stubborn. "I think ya gotta have a bit o' pig headedness in ya to make it on the rodeo circuit no matter who ya are," he observed with a slight laugh. "Guess maybe that's why I couldn't hack it. Or I guess it's just not what lit my fire." He definitely had the stubbornness, as exhibited by the fact that he was finally in his own place after several years of building. His heart just hadn't been in the rodeo. He loved training horses too much.

He nodded when she said she'd better get back to Monster. "Eh, don't feel right pokin' around somebody else's place," he said. "Mind if I stay and watch?" he asked. Some folks were weird about having an audience, but the way that one had gone, he figured it might not entirely be a bad idea to have somebody standing by, just in case things got a little too westy.

post made Jan 2 2017, 07:42 PM
twenty five
female
she/her/hers
pansexual
International
lux
19 posts
90 points
She laughed a little at his comment about the rodeo circuit; though, he certainly wasn't wrong. It wasn't an easy place to make a living, especially when only half of the battle was skill and the rest was sheer luck. Some days, it felt more like it was 99% luck, too. She'd fallen in love with rodeo, initially, but when it had all gone south with her ex-husband... well, it was a little harder to get into it now, knowing she could see his face at any given rodeo. He was a washed up has been, but he still showed up more often than she liked. She was just thankful she'd not yet had to interact with him.

Fair enough. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

She nodded a little with the next bit; she probably would have taken herself up on the offer of poking around, but she'd always been a little more on the fearless and nosy side. She didn't mind him staying, though, and merely popped back over to the chute to slip back into the saddle and get herself settled. Monster's ears went flat back, but she just shook her head and clucked her tongue: "Too bad, buddy".

Yeah, feel free. Might not be pretty, though.

She got her grip again, reaching for the rope to prop open the door once more, and went back to holding on for dear life. This time, Monster was more than just pissed; he was downright frustrated that she'd gotten back on. It showed, too, in the way he managed to dump her twice more before finally settled on her fourth try, just shy of her coming off again. She let out a breath she hadn't meant to be holding, reaching to his favourite spot to give his neck a scratch. He flinched a little, not entirely certain about this predicament still, but eventually his ears flickered a little forward before going back again and she smiled. With one more scratch, she slowly eased herself out of the saddle, undoing the cinch completely and, albeit slowly, removing it to set the saddle in the dust; a reward for finally letting her stay on.

I think we'll call it there for today, hey bud?

All she got in response was an aggravated and stressed snort, but he seemed remotely appreciative of the fact he was somewhat free of the encumbering nonsense she insisted on sticking on him. With that, she turned to lead him back out, giving her unexpected guest a little grin.

Coulda been worse, to be fair.

post made Jan 8 2017, 10:51 PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

fast options
topic

affiliates