nineteen
female
she/her
pansexual
Local
brea
27 posts
120 points
The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
T
he day was perfect for a trail ride. The air was cool, but not too cold and Lexi had finished her classwork early. In the last month and a half she had started to fall into a new routine in her life. Routines were something she was used to, but this routine was different. This one was one she wasn't used to. She had never just gotten to be a normal girl. Her entire life had consisted of something or another. Some things better than others. Now she had this new chance to make something new for herself and she was pretty determined to make this one count. Make it stick. She was tired of dragging herself through her life, fighting just to stay alive. The peace of Wellington and the horses had definitely started to draw her in. She liked it. This life of going to school, well online school, taking care of the horses, riding, it was a life she could get used to.

She had arrived at the barn in the late morning and went through the motions of grooming and tacking up Oliver. The horse that her adoptive family had so kindly given to her. A gorgeous palomino sabino Thoroughbred gelding. He was a source of real happiness and content for her. Taking care of him, feeding him, grooming him, riding him, it helped her more than any shrink or pill could. He couldn't take away the horrors of her past, but he gave her something good to look forward to each day. And he was a great listener. She wasn't allowed to talk to other people about her life, not that she would even if she could. But she could tell him anything she wanted. Lexi offered the gelding a peppermint before putting his bridle on and heading to the mounting block outside. She wore black riding pants, black tall boots, a deep blue light jacket, and black gloves. She pulled on her helmet before mounting.

The trails were one place she really enjoyed because it gave her time to just think and be on her own. She didn't need to pretend to be anybody special out here in the woods. She could just be herself. It was hard to keep certain aspects of herself locked away. Like the constantly looking over her shoulder. Or the drugs. But she was doing the best she could. Oliver headed down the trail at a trot and she smiled, feeling the crisp air fill her lungs. The sun shined brightly through the trees in some spots giving the forest an almost glow about it.

She wasn't sure how long she had been riding, but suddenly she wasn't one hundred percent sure where she was. She glanced around her and realized that all the forest pretty much looked the same. She pulled Oliver to a walk leaning down to pat his neck "Liohka tam chlopčyk. Liubaja ideja, dzie my znachodzimsia?" (Easy there boy. Any idea where we are?) she whispered to the gelding. She had taken to speaking her native tongue to him, but only when they were alone. It gave her a chance to keep part of her true self with her. The self that she had to hide away all the time. The gelding snorted lightly and rolled his eyes towards the trail to their left. Now that she was listening she heard the distinct sound of hooves. Panic spiked in her chest for a moment but she reminded herself that she was in horse country. There were barns all around. It was probably just another rider out doing the same thing she was going. Besides, they might be able to give her directions.

Rawley Harrington
post made Dec 6 2016, 09:38 PM
thirty-one
male
he/him/his
heterosexual
Industry
pixel
39 posts
60 points
that's why god loves cowboys i believe there's a place in his heart
i think god must be a cowboy at heart

he made a horse to be a friend
One thing could be said for Florida; the weather in the winter was preferable to Montana's twenty degrees below zero. It certainly made riding much easier, which was, of course, the whole point of his move. It was just nice to see it paying off; he was finally at his own place. Of course, he didn't have any boarders, or any other business, which meant that he was currently in the hole, but right now he was trying not to think about that, or the money he'd spent on the two acquisitions currently standing saddled in his barn. Ah yes, his barn. That definitely had a nice ring to it.

The chestnut stallion was a beauty, tall for a quarter horse, but he was already a national level reining horse. Rawley generally preferred his horses with less white, but when he'd seen him going through the auction, he couldn't let him go to waste with some English person who wouldn't appreciate his talents. He spoke that with no disdain for English riders, just that they might try and retrain him for jumping or dressage or something he was ill suited for, in spite of his size. He definitely needed to go to a place where he was appreciate, and Rawley hadn't been able to resist. The palomino filly next to him wasn't much shorter, although she was only a four year old. She was currently saddled, shifting around nervously. That was to be expected for a horse who had only been saddled a handful of times. His favorite way to get a horse going was to pony them on a broke horse who knew the ropes. It gave the colt some exposure beyond the arena or round pen, with the added benefit of the support of a broke horse who knew the ropes.

Rawley gave a final pull to Allegro's cinch and ran the latigo through the keeper and dropped his stirrup down. He checked Flash's cinch, and then grabbed her lead rope, holding it in hand as he mounted the stallion. "Now, I know Flash is a looker, Al, but you keep your manhood tucked, y'hear?" he said. He settled his hat on his head more firmly, and then bumped Allegro with a spur, heading for the trails, which was another added bonus of the LarkLake property. Of course, Greenbrier had trails, as well, but there was something to having a place to call your own.

When Flash had adjusted to the idea of following another horse, he took a wrap around the saddle horn so he wouldn't be pulled from his saddle, and then bumped Al with a spur, sending him into a nice little western pleasure jog. "Well, you don't cover much country, boy, but you sure are comfortable to ride," he noted. Pleasure horses had never really been his thing, but if he couldn't find somebody interested in pleasure to sell the horse to, he could certainly make use of him, and he would undoubtedly make pretty babies.

Abruptly, Flash snorted and danced sideways. "Eeeeasy," Rawley told her in a low voice. Al had pinned his ears, and, squealing, struck at her. "Ayyyye," Rawley reprimanded, running his spur along the stud's sides. "It's one thing to show her the ropes, but don't go gettin' snarky." It occurred to him that bringing a stud out with a mare probably wasn't the wisest, but then, Rawley had never exactly taken the safe route. He bumped Allegro into a long trot to keep Flash occupied. When they finally broke out into a bit of a clearing, Rawley spotted another rider at the same time Flash did. Blowing fiercely, the filly flung herself to the end of her lead rope again, pulling part of the object through Rawley's hand, leaving welts behind in the process. He tried to take a wrap, but the filly was already flying backwards again, pulling what was left through his hand. Realizing that she was free, she spun and thundered back down the trail in the direction they had come, back home to LarkLake. Rawley stared after her for a long moment, looking put out but making no move to go after her. She would just go home, and he was unlikely to catch her before she got there, anyway. Might as well make the acquaintance of the pretty lady sitting on the paint horse. "Howdy, ma'am," he said, tipping his hat as he rode closer. "You lost?" he asked. He didn't recognize her, but she obviously wasn't his boarder. Somebody from Greenbrier, he figured, who didn't even realized they'd crossed the property line onto LarkLake. Not that he minded in the slightest--he wasn't going to be the kind to make a fuss about it; trails were meant to be enjoyed, and these weren't being enjoyed by anyone but him at the moment. It was just the simple fact that her being here indicated she wasn't familiar with the area. "Excuse me for being rude," he added, realizing he'd forgotten his manners; his mother would have had his hide. "My name's Rawley Harrington. I own LarkLake."

To: ALEXANDRA WALKER || Notes: whoa he got chatty lol
girlwhowaited @ (​shine)(cttw)
post made Dec 7 2016, 01:20 AM
nineteen
female
she/her
pansexual
Local
brea
27 posts
120 points
L
exi watched as a man, atop a horse and leading another, entered her line of sight on the trail. Upon seeing her horse the two seemed to react less than optimally and before she knew it the one being lead had tried to lunge towards Oliver, causing him to spook sideways. She kept her seat, using her voice to try and calm him. Then the filly broke loose and took off back down the trail towards wherever it was they had come from. Lexi stroked Oliver's neck and the gelding let out a huff but settled down and stopped trying to dance sideways now that the other horses had started to calm down as well, or rather the one had disappeared and the other was calming down. A moment after the filly was gone she noticed the man wasn't chasing after her. Instead he turned to her and tipped his hat, greeting her and then asking if she was lost.

"I think I might be. I board at Greenbrier and went for a trail ride but seem to have lost track of where I was going" she replied honestly. She wasn't even sure she was still on the right property. But this male seemed friendly enough about it and didn't seem bothered that she was there. "Sorry if I spooked your horses" she added with a small frown. She really hoped that she hadn't caused that whole ordeal. She was sure he probably had some pretty bad rope burn on his hand from trying to hold the one that had bolted.

Lexi smiled when he apologized for being rude by not introducing himself. Well if he was rude then so was she, neither of them had stated their name up to this point. But then he did. Rawley Harrington, owner of LarkLake. She put his name and face into her mind so she wouldn't forget. It was good to know the people that she would be living around. She had heard of LarkLake, it was another facility. But western based if she remembered correctly. "It is nice to meet you Rawley. I'm Lexi Walker" she greeted in return. She was Lexi, never Alexandra. The people that had called her Alexandra were dead and that part of her life was over.

Rawley Harrington
post made Dec 9 2016, 03:35 PM
thirty-one
male
he/him/his
heterosexual
Industry
pixel
39 posts
60 points

When she said she might be lost, Rawley shot her a signature, lopsided grin. "It's easy enough to do out here," he answered. He had gotten used to navigating strange places, and he generally had a pretty good idea of which general direction he was heading. He could almost always find north; it was a skill learned in the mountains, another place that was easy to get turned around, and it had served him in the Middle East as well. He quickly shook off her apology. "Nah, no worries," he responded. "She's a bit of a flighty little thing." He glanced over his shoulder, in the direction the little palomino had taken off in. "She'll head on back home. Probably be sittin' in the driveway grazing when I get back." He rolled his eyes a little. Starting colts was always an unpredictable matter, but it was one of his favorite things, maybe because of the unpredictability.

"Al here, he shoulda known better," he added, leaning forward to scratch the stallion's neck, ruffling his mane from side to side. The stud was currently looking bored, now that the fireworks were over, his head low, ears flopped toward the sides, eyes at half mast. "Lazy cuss," Rawley said with a chuckle and shake of his head, but he turned his attention back to the other girl when she repeated his name and introduced herself as Lexi Walker. "Nice to meet ya, Lexi," he said, sweeping his hat off his head and inclining it in her direction, the picture of a gentleman. Settling it quickly back onto his head, to cover his mop of curly hair, he grinned at her. "Do you need help getting back to Greenbrier?" He asked. He knew it was easy to get turned around out here, and honestly, while he could inherently find his way around when he needed to, he found it difficult to give directions, especially out here where nothing had names. It wasn't like he could tell her to head East until she got to Haycreek Road and then hang a left. The trails twisted and looped through the trees, making it difficult to keep track of the direction.

"I'd be happy to show you the way back," he added. "But I should probably go get that little yellow knucklehead gathered up first. Ponying her all the way over to Greenbrier would be great exposure. I hadn't planned on going so far, but, y'know, maybe the extra miles will do her some good." He shot her another grin. "I've just gotta mozy back this way a bit if you wanna tag along, and then we'll get you on the right track back home," he said with a nod. "Sound alright?"

To: ALEXANDRA WALKER || Notes: whoa he got chatty lol
post made Dec 21 2016, 01:31 PM
nineteen
female
she/her
pansexual
Local
brea
27 posts
120 points
L
exi couldn't help but smile at his lopsided grin. It was such a good-natured look. He certainly came across as a happy go lucky gentleman. She was glad that he didn't seem upset about the filly taking off. She would have hated if she had been the cause of that. It seemed that he was training her and already knew she had these tendencies. Even still, he didn't seem bothered in the slightest by her behavior. A glass half full kind of guy if she had to make assumptions. She hadn't met too many people yet in Wellington, but so far she was glad she had ran into him on this trail. It was always good to come across friendly people. Especially for someone like her that was still trying really hard to integrate into society and just be normal. "At least she is pretty right" she commented, making a light joke.

She let out a small laugh as he talked about the stud he was sitting astride. The horse now seemed to be literally falling asleep. A far cry from how he had been acting a mere matter of minutes ago. It was funny how they could do that. Be a freak one moment and completely calm the next. Horses. They were interesting to say the least. She felt a small jump in her stomach when he told her it was nice to meet her and then reiterated her name before pulling his hat off his head and making a motion towards her of greeting. She wasn't used to this type of gentlemanly greeting. But had to admit that it was kind of nice. It made a slight blush cross her cheeks. He then asked if she needed some help finding her way back to Greenbriar. As much as she would like to just be like oh no I can manage, she wasn't confident that she could. The last thing she needed was to get more lost than she already was. "You know, that would actually be great. I am afraid I might get myself even more hopelessly lost" she replied with a small laugh.

He just needed to head back to his ranch first and grab the filly. He wanted to take her back out on their little journey. Exposure, it made sense. Besides who was she to accept his help but then be like oh no you can't go back and get our horse that I may or may not have caused to run off. She realized she hadn't responded and cleared her throat quickly "That sounds great" she replied with a small nod. She gave Oliver a little nudge and closed the distance between herself and Rawley so that she could follow him back to his place. It would be nice to get more familiar with the area and this was a good way to do it. Thankfully she had a photographic memory and she made it a point to remind herself to look at a map before she went out again. That way this wouldn't happen a second time. Rawley might not be here to come to her rescue next time. "Thanks for the help by the way, I'm glad I ran into you. Or maybe you ran into me. Either way, you were a welcome sight" she replied with another laugh. She hadn't realized, but ever since coming to Wellington she had actually been able to start smiling and laughing again for the first time in many years. It was surprisingly nice to be able to get that little piece of herself back. The part of her that could be happy and actually enjoy life. She couldn't remember the last time she had felt this free.

Rawley Harrington
post made Jan 2 2017, 03:42 AM
thirty-one
male
he/him/his
heterosexual
Industry
pixel
39 posts
60 points

Happy-go-lucky was a pretty good word for Rawley. He just didn't get riled often, not much bothered him, as evidenced by his complete calm about his colt rope burning his hand and taking off. There wasn't much that got him wound up, unless he started drinking tequila, then he got a temper. His easy going nature was part of what made him great at starting colts, though. He was never mad, never impatient; it took as long as it took him, whether that was an hour or a day and it was all fine by him. And when he got piled, he usually laughed.

Laughing, he nodded. "Gotta be good for something. Even if it is just lookin' pretty," He shrugged, gave that crooked smile again. When she accepted his offer, it turned into a full blown grin, and he nodded. "Yeah, like I said, it's easy to do out here," he said. The trees had thrown him off at first, too. He couldn't tell direction like he was used to out in the open, which had thrown off his internal compass. He had recovered it now, though, which was a relief. Nothing was more unnerving to him than not only not knowing where he was, but not knowing what direction he was heading.

He nodded when she reined her horse closer, bumping Al with a spur to wake him up and then reined him around. The stud turned sharply, pivoting on a back foot while his front legs crossed neatly. Rawley smiled, satisfied, and gave the horse a pat. "Straight back this way," he said, gesturing. He nudged Allegro up into a jog, though because he was a western pleasure, it was barely any faster than Lexi's horse's walk. "So how long have you been in Wellington?" he asked. "I haven't seen you around before; I'm sure I'd remember," he said, winking at her before chuckling. It was only a little ways back down the trail to LarkLake, but they didn't have to get all the way there. Flash was standing next to the trail, grazing as Rawley had predicted. He brought Al to a stop to watch her for a moment, debating on whether she would let him ride up to her or if he should just pull out his rope now. Her head was down which complicated things. Finally he decided he didn't want to lose her again, so he pulled his rope off, slowly shaking out a loop. "Please don't run off, little lady. I really don't think this pleasure horse knows how to take a pull," he muttered. He bumped Allegro, causing the stud to sidle closer, and Flash tossed her head up to look at them, her ears quivering. Rawley continued a slow, almost lazy swing, then let the loop fly, settling around her neck. Rawley continued to let Al sidle closer, coiling his rope as he went. When he was nearly close enough to grab her lead rope, she flung her head and sidled backwards, slinging her head and snorting when the loop tightened around her neck, but stopped in fairly short order. "That's a girl," he said, rubbing her forehead when he got close enough, before leaning down to grab her lead rope. When he had that firmly in hand, he swung Allegro around to rub her neck and then grab the tightened loop, loosening it and easing it over her head. "That's a girl," he said. Satisfied, he hung his rope off his saddle horn again, coiling her lead rope before turning back to Lexi. "Well, back this way then," he said, nodding back the way they'd come.

To: ALEXANDRA WALKER || Notes: <3
post made Jan 7 2017, 02:26 AM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

fast options
topic

affiliates